Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Schwety Momma and the Caged Animal

I have been begging for Spring for months and today it arrived full force, along with the strong Kansas wind. I think the high for today was 83, the house was definitely warm even with the windows open and the ceiling fans workin' their little blades off. I'm sure the Dust Bunnies that live atop them are quite dizzy today.

So, hot house, hot kids, hot Momma, what to do to get out and about? We went to playgroup at the school. Playgroups are Torture not easy for me. Last time there was a playgroup in the library. I was coming from work so I was in heels, had Chloe on one hip, Tucker was making every attempt to single-handedly swipe all library books off the shelves while using his Outside Voice, and to top it all off, I realized that I smelled a familiar odor coming from Chloe's diaper.

That playgroup ventured outside and ended with me near tears carrying a fussy 6 month old in one arm, a kicking and screaming 2 year old in the other after chasing him across the playground. Oh, and there was also a diaper bag and carseat to contend with. Not good, not good at all.

This week I was a little more prepared. I knew we would be outside so I made sure that I packed my infant carrier so I would be able to carry Chloe without using my arms. I also packed the dog leash for Tucker. Just kidding. Today's playgroup involved playing with sponges and water, chalk, bubbles, and Easter eggs that could be filled with rice and/or dry beans. Tucker's first venture was the water tubs with the sponges, next up was chalk, then random wandering, then bubbles. I felt kind of paralyzed because it was difficult for me to help guide and encourage him with Chloe strapped to my chest in the infant carrier. Luckily, some of the other mommas helped me out by helping him do some of the activities.

Today's playgroup ended with more hysteria. Poor little guy just doesn't like to stop playing. However, this meltdown was above and beyond a little fussiness. This was a scream all the way home and make the neighbors think my mom is killing me kind of hysteria. This behavior earned him an immediate Time Out when we got home. Uaually when he gets like that, you just put him in his room with the door shut and within five minutes the screaming has stopped and I can go in and talk with him.

Not today. Today I felt like I had a caged animal. I flashed back to watching The Hangover, when they have the tiger (or lion?) in the hotel bathroom and they need to feed it some steak. That was me, but the steak was American cheese. I wondered if I would come out alive. Once he cooled off (he had worked up quite a sweat), drank some ice water and ate some cheese, he was back to being my sweet boy. But that fit just may be his worst to date, it lasted upwards of thirty minutes. Non-stop screaming, it was pure craziness.

No, playgroups are not easy. But we go because he loves them, and because I love him. However, next playgroup I am taking an animal tranquilizer gun.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katy, this post definitely made me giggle a little. What a good Momma you are!

    ReplyDelete